CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Hunters and Gatherers

Sofia and her friend Will picking flowers at Gather Together Farm.





Some people are Hunters. Some people are gatherers (and I guess some are neither). I my friends am a gatherer. In fact, if I would have lived in a tribe long ago, I would have been the rock star gatherer. I love living in Corvallis, because there is so much local food to take advantage of. Strawberries in the late spring.... blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries in the summer. Right now in the month of September, I can also buy any other produce I need at a local farm. Hey, I even pick my own flowers (please refer to pictures:). No need to wait for the husband. Sofia also thinks that it is so fun.
I've been thinking lately that I am a little manic for always having to have fresh food around, but I have given some thought to why I do it..... and this is what I have come up with:
1)It gets us outside in nature
2)It is affordable.
2)Sofia can help. Heck.. Gabe can even help. When I wear him on my back, he picks blueberries and eats them (and them wipes his hands all over my shirt).
3) The food tastes so much better fresh and ripe.
4)It feels good to know where your food comes from. Most food travels so far and is picked unripe under who knows what circumstances. I feel some sort of satisfaction for providing my family with fresh, healthy food.
5)It supports local farming.
Does anyone want to come picking with me?

7 comments:

anitawarnick.com said...

I do I do!

Robyn said...

Heck yhea I do! Call me.

Amanda Nemelka said...

If I lived in Oregon close to you...absolutely. I love picking raspberries when I can.

juliette said...

kara, Radke's still has blueberries. I have about 25 pounds in the freezer but...Let's go pick! Can you go Wednesday morning? I could go for raspberries instead if you know a good spot.

adrienne said...

You are so lucky to live in a place where you can do that! Our climate... not so much!! I still plan on having a garden in our new place next summer. I wish I could gather with you!

Elisa Street said...

I love all your reasons for goin' pickin'...but I have to say...what really got me on this entry are the PHOTOS....gorgeous! Sofia and Will are so cute together!

Pack Perhe said...

The author of ChiRunning selects his food by how much CHI it has in it--in other words LIFE. I think it's a good way to go!
Elisa