CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, November 2, 2008

My weird prayer

Today I gave the closing prayer in Sacrament meeting. No big deal, right? Well, usually I would not even think twice about having to do this, but I gave the weirdest most scatter brained prayer today. It may not have been as bad as Ms. South Carolina's answer in the video, but it was so scattered. In no particular order, I prayed that we could all remember to vote, thanks for the testimonies (that I didn't hear since I was in the foyer half of the time), thankfulness for this great country that we live in. The more awkward my prayer got, the more I felt like I had to say something to counteract the weirdness, when I really should have just ended it. Oh well, as my excuse, I did wake up this morning at 5:30 with daylight savings time and I did have to last minute hand off a wild Gabe so that I could even get up there. Oh well, my heart was in the right place... just not my mind.

9 comments:

Jaime said...

Kara, I feel your pain. I give the prayer of a 10 year old...in fact I would rather give a talk than say a prayer, that I have to make up on the spot. It is aweful.

Margaret said...

I agree with Jaime. Sometimes I think I'd feel more comfortable just giving a talk. When I pray I go into personal prayer mode everytime. I'm always afraid I'm going to pray for that blister on my foot to heal so I can walk normally. To avoid it I say a very careful lame prayer.

Steve & Sarabeth said...

Oh man, that video cracked me up!

Katie and Bryson said...

That always happens to me! Testimonies too. I've decided for me that it's just best to keep quiet when I can.
Ella has your little boy's monkey costume from when she was 18 months too. We let her pick it out that year and she chose that one (I think) because it looked like a snuggly stuffed animal. She took it to bed with her for like two weeks before she even wore it.

Robyn said...

Kara! Seriously - I was THERE and it wasn't bad! Yes, it was clear that you surprised yourself when you said "bless us all to vote" but that's it! It was kind of funny because it was obvious that you felt a little goofy about having just said it. But it wasn't goofy -- you did FINE. For real.

juliette said...

Ugh, I hate saying anything in public, especially anything as personal as a prayer. I like your blog's new look! We miss hanging out, it's been a long time...I seem to be in recluse mode, but be assured, i'm still a Kara groupie.

Amanda Nemelka said...

It reminds me of the time Jeff had to give a prayer on our FIRST Sunday in a new ward and he got so nervous that he "asked the spirit to be with us" like 12 TIMES. It was so funny. He honestly just kept repeating himself. It was like watching a car accident in slow motion and I just sat their helpless. I couldn't do a think but watch. UGH. But, you and Jeff do have the humor/personality in common to get your through those awkward moments. People love and appreciate that about you...and if they don't, they SHOULD. Oh how I wish I had been there!!

adrienne said...

That video brings such joy to my heart!! I love it. I have definitely had prayers and testimonies like that, too. One of the most recent times I bore my testimony in sacrament meeting, I actually said "crappiness" in my testimony!! What?! And I remember saying it and thinking "why can't I just shut up?" Aaaahhh. It's very humbling, isn't it?

Kara said...

I didn't no so many of you were weird prayers too. I take comfort in this :). Robyn, you just didn't think my prayer was weird because you are getting used to my weirdness.